Cavities are preventable. They are caused by germs in the mouth interacting with sugars in food and drinks. You can’t avoid germs or sugars, but you can limit exposure to them.
Keep teeth healthy by:
- Drinking fluoridated water
- Using fluoridated toothpaste twice each day
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks
- Fluoride varnish can be applied to teeth every 3 months by a dentist, medical provider, or even your public health office.
- Visit the dentist regularly. It is recommended that children are seen by a dentist by their first birthday or within six months after their first tooth comes in. Schedule an appointment with your dentist every 6 months.
We can help –
- Finding transportation
- Finding an interpreter
- Preparing for your appointment
Contact your local public health agency and ask for the Child and Teen Checkup coordinator.
- Meeker County Public Health 320-693-5370
- McLeod County Health and Human Services 320-864-3185
- Sibley County Health and Human Services 507-237-4000